Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homemade Dishwashing Soap

If you're like me, you're always looking for ways to keep a little more money in the bank to be used more efficiently.  For the past year, I have made my own laundry soap and "dryer sheets" and have saved my family hundreds of dollars! I have been hesitant to make my own dishwasher soap because I dread the thought of having to re-wash loads for fear of the yucky white residue.  Can anybody relate? So, I finally found one that works, is easy to make, and, BONUS, is economical!  Oh, can I also add that it took less than 5 minutes to make??? That's a commercial break!

Here's what I used:
Borax, Washing Soda(not baking soda), salt, and citric acid



1 cup of Borax



1 cup of Washing Soda




1/2 cup of citric acid...use more for very hard water 
(I've seen people use Kool-Aide packets of lemonade for the 
same citric acid effect...plus, the smell would be great!)



1/2 cup of salt
(It called for coarse Kosher salt, but I used what I had)



Stir/Shake together in an old container, and it's ready to go!



It only takes 1 Tablespoon, which will yield about 48 loads!  
I also put about 1/2 TB in my pre-wash, but it's not necessary, unless your dishes are like mine...dirty!! ;) 
Avoid using too much as it will result in white coated dishes!

As usual, I use vinegar as my rinsing agent instead of Jet Dry.  
It works great....plus, you've got it....it's CHEAP!!

Here's to shiny, clean dishes without breaking the bank!




No comments:

Post a Comment